Flight control counter balancing has nothing to do with control surface
sensitivity or an attempt to reduce that tendency if the aircraft has it.
Counter balancing is to prevent control surface flutter.  It does reduce  the
loads on the hinges during flight, but is primarily to reduce flutter that is
caused when aircraft begin exceeding speeds of approximately 150mph depending
upon the airplane.

I have taken the route of reducing the sensitivity the same way Adrian Carter
did by simply reducing the throw or movement of the pushtube for a given amount
of stick movement.  I still get the complete amount of elevator motion, just
takes more stick to get it.  I personally feel that reducing the area of the
elevator only takes away from the very domain of flight that I want the
greatest amount of control, and that is when the airplane is slow.  ALL planes
get sensitive above 130knots/140mph so no real change necessary there.

Your results will vary....

Colin & Bev Rainey
KR2(td) N96TA
Sanford, FL