Hi Doug

I really like Eduardo's way of making a KR fuse and it would suite me
just fine to see things the same way you do.  I would like to start my
project in January and this is one of the few outstanding issues.  I
cannot imagine anything worse that looking at a complete fuselage or
wing etc. and realizing that you opted for a bum idea /material
/technique and created a pile of junk.

My reservations stem from Zeke Smith's teachings - what are your
thoughts on that?

To reiterate, he opens the relevant chapter with this comment:

Quote: The following simple puzzle illustrates the effect of using two
materials of different stiffness in the same structure - end quote

The punch-line of the lesson is:

Quote: This illustrates a principle that carries into practical
composite aircraft design. Some designs which use mostly E-glass fiber
make use of carbon (graphite) fiber for spar caps. Carbon is much
stiffer than glass, so the carbon will carry nearly the entire spar cap
load. If any glass is used in parallel with the stiffer carbon, the
glass component is essentially wasted because it will never experience
enough strain to carry a useful load - the carbon fiber gets nearly all
the load, just like in the puzzle with the stiff chain and the soft
bungee - end quote.

In the true spirit of KRnet, we all strive to lean and understand more
about the tools, materials and techniques we use.  To progress this
discussion, it would help if you addressed the particular comment that
you do not agree with so I can either learn from your input, or clarify
my position and take the discussion to the next level.  This way we will
ultimately conclude the discussion and one or both of us will learn
something (along with any other netters that were interested).  With
some luck we may even lure one of the informed netters into setting us
straight.

As above, what is your reaction to Zeke Smith's teaching?

Take care
Steve