HI Guy's found this web address and I include our RAA new letter that put me
on to it.

The last "flyer" suggested using red rtv to seal firewall pass through
shields. FWIW I think there may be much better products available?? The
highest temperature rating that I've seen for high temp rtv is only
about 550 F. which is a long way from the 2000 F that the firewall is
supposed to resist. When exposed to a propane torch it does not last
very long. I have also experimented with fire rated silicone caulk (DAP
FireStop)  and found that it is about the same as rtv, which is not too
surprising. The consensus on the aeroelectric list is to use 3M fire
barrier CP25WB+   which is a latex based itumescent fire barrier. When
exposed to heat, this stuff expands to insulate and keep an opening
sealed. It is available for about US$9. in American Home Depots but in
Canada I had to go to a 3M supplier  who charged about $22. When I open
the tube I'll compare it to rtv but I expect it to be much better. I
think some Rona Cashway stores may stock this product in Canada for a
more reasonable price.
Ken

This subject was dealt with in detail on the Bearhawk list last summer and
among
other key info, this coverage by electrical guru Bob Nuckolls showed up too.
http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/Firewall_Penetration/firewall.html
Firewall 2000 is sold by ASS and Leavens has something similar too.

David Stroud, Ottawa, Canada

Looks like my KR2 will be staying in doors for at least an other few months.
This last 10% rule bites!
Darren Pond
Private Pilot Night Rated
Cambridge Ont
Cell 519-241-4242
Home 519-651-2522
pond...@rogers.com
dp...@sspsolar.com
Taylor Mono Plane CF-VML @CYKF
KR2 C-GGGW in the garage for little bit longer.