I'm not a lawyer but it is legal to take a passenger flying and have them
pay all expenses involved with the flight,  They can't pay you for flying
(piloting) them but they can pay the expenses involves in the flight
including aircraft rental or maintenance on your personal airplane if you
have an average coat of operating the aircraft.

Jack Cooper