Dick
I appreciate the remarks offered by the EAA person.  However, they are VERY
optimistic and not consistent with actual FAA performance.  If the aircraft in
question supposedly tests out to ELSA and then later thru investigation the FAA
decides, without having to show crediability mind you ( scientific approach etc
) that the aircraft does not qualify the builder pilot and any pilot there
after will be/can be cited for flying the aircraft if they were not properly
rated.  Example: the FAA will not cite a pilot for being under the influence
before the flight, because he has not flown, so only a warning is appropriate.
Upon landing though he has now demonstarted he intended and did fly DUI.  Now
he is cited, and violated.  The same holds true for your aircraft.  I have no
faith in what the EAA or AOPA is saying about the good that is coming from this
category, because the commentary is in direct contradiction to it.  The EAA and
AOPA is running scared because they believe that the pilots will find out the
truth and quit altogether.  Remember the discussion about how the FAA decides
whether or not an explaination is correct concerning the Regs? They ask you,
and if they like your explaination then they say yes.  They have given all they
are going to give up front.  Now they will make their statements after the
fact.  Please all just have a backup plan for being able to fly and not lose
your investment.  I don't want to see alot of builders by into this new
category, or build projects thinking they can certify in it, only to find after
so many years of hard patient buidling they can't.

Colin & Bev Rainey
KR2(td) N96TA
Sanford, FL
crain...@cfl.rr.com