>  I'm ready to weigh it, and would like to have it close to the right c of
g before I rent the scales.  Right now, when I bring the tail up to flight
attitude, I have almost no weight on the tail.  Is this an indication that
it is nose heavy?  Should I move the battery to behind the seats before I
bother with weighing?
>  I would appreciate input from those who have gone before.
>  Jim Vance
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

Jim,

Actually, you're probably pretty close.  If you get known good weights
with the certified scales and you're off a bit on the CG, you can calculate
with paper and pencil the changes you need to make.  Just take accurate
measurements on the location and weight of anything you think about
moving and then redo the W&B with the new numbers and see how the
changes affected the C.G.  For example, if you want to move the
battery, remove it's weight from the empty weight of the airplane as
well as it's W x D (arm) numbers from the W&B numbers.  That will
give you the C.G. without the battery.  Now add it back in at it's new
location, adding the weight back to the empty weight as well as it's
arm (W x D) back in to W&B numbers.  This will give you the new
C.G. location.  If this is clear as mud, set down with someone that
can help you.  This is not something you want to guess at.  After
the structure of the airplane, this is probably issue #2 in importance
to safe flight.

One suggestion. When it's on the scales, place a known weight in
the baggage area and calculate the actual arm of the baggage
area.  Same with pilot and passanger location.  When I place anything
(on paper) in my baggage area it shifts the C.G. back really fast. I'm
not sure I'm using the correct arm (inches) for my numbers.  A couple
of ten pound sacks of sugar or flour would be one cheap way to go.

Larry Flesner