‘Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the shop,
No resin was curing, not even a drop;
The clamps were hung over the workbench with care,
In hopes the spruce I ordered soon would be there;
The old lady and I were nestled all snug in our bed,
While the “I Hate Sanding” song played in my head;
While wearing my Gathering tee shirt and cap,
I had just settled down for a long winter’s nap,

When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Was it my neighbors playing one of their tricks?,
Or could it be Yellow Freight with a shipment from Wicks?

The landing lights shining on the new-fallen snow
Gave the luster of mid-day to objects below,
When I thought: “Could it be?…  Yes”
It was a small airplane, a KR-2S,

With a big fat pilot, gloved hand on the stick,
I knew in a moment it must be St. Nick,
Stuffed with presents, and painted in white,
Still not over gross, he must have built light,
Speeding by in a high-speed pass,
He shouted “Kraut get off of your ass!”
“Langford and Jones, Bruce, Cooper, and Rainey, Heath, and the rest ‘ya”,
“Get those planes done and come join Larry Flesner!”

Now belly board down as he rounded the base,
Full stop on my roof, done with such grace,
He slid down my chimney, all covered with soot,
Wearing his sanding mask, man this cats good.

He was wearing a gathering shirt, two thousand and three,
Dried epoxy on his jeans, and holes at the knee,
There was something magical about him, and the way he flew in,
Could not quite place it…, Ahh, he had the big KR grin!

He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
Dropped a big bundle of spruce near the tree, by the hearth,
A Corvair core motor, foam and glass,
A new Sterba prop, this guy has class!

Then laying his finger on the side his nose,
And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose

He gave the KR a quick preflight,
Before he took off into the night,
Did one high speed pass with a Marty Roberts pull up,
This old man can fly just like a young pup!

And away he flew, right out of sight,
As I heard him exclaim “Merry Christmas to all, and I REALLY HATE SANDING!!”

Brian Kraut
Engineering Alternatives, Inc.
www.engalt.com