The feds always rat you out to the state, but what the states do with the
information varies greatly from state to state.  Here in NM you only pay
the annual registration, which is $.02/lb of gross weight for the first
two years, $.015/lb for the second 2 years, then $.01/lb of gross weight
once the airplane is more than 4 years old.  My 1200 lb gross KR cost me
$24 the first two years, and now cost me $12/year to keep registered with
the state.

Other states often times expect to collect sales tax on either the value
of the plane or the value of the parts purchased that did not have sales
tax paid previously, plus the annual registration fee.

-Jeff