You can also test a scale model of a spar and obtain good results. Stan Hall
discussed the methodology for this in an early Sport Aviation article, two
actually.

Denny ...

Oscar Zuniga <taildr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Steve wrote-

>I would destruction test a pair of spars if I had the capability. I don't
>have any way of putting 4500 pounds of pressure on anything, much less
>getting the load distributed right.

Why test a pair of spars? One will do. And as far as a test setup and
apparatus, check out http://www.flysquirrel.net/wing/spartest.html and see
if you can duplicate the high-tech test setup detailed there... PS; I'm an
engineer and I find no fault with this type of "first cut" analysis to see
if you're even in the ballpark. This type of test can be prepared one
weekend and run the next (after cure). You numerical types may take
exception, but I don't. If it fails in this type of "backyard" scenario,
you've got no business flying it at Reno!

Oscar Zuniga
San Antonio, TX
mailto: taildr...@hotmail.com
website at http://www.flysquirrel.net

"I can train a monkey to wave an American flag. That does not make the monkey
patriotic."

Scott Ritter