First I will answer the easy one. A phone call to Dan Diehl and describing how
I was losing charging once the plane got hot (engine temp at 190 degrees
normal), got a question from Dan as to where the regulator was located. I told
him on the firewall. He said that the regulator during use gets too hot to
touch, and he felt that it was failing out due to too much heat, which is
something I have witnessed in cars; too much heat too many times and the diodes
that collapse to control voltage in the regulator collapse due to heat not
voltage, and don't reset. I borrowed the tube from the battery cooling, and
relocated to the regulator, and bingo! no more problem.  You can also relocate
the regulator to the cooling baffle right behind the left hand head, to allow
good cooling that way, which is what Dan recommended.  Internal regulated
alternators due this by having their own fan mounted on the shaft right behind
the pulley, so it makes perfect sense.

In reference to the loss of control, please all keep in mind that in DOES NOT
have to do with a problem with the KR2 design or improper control deflection of
the plane.  The FAA categorizes the various levels of windshear, based on
whether the pilot loses temporary control of the aircraft, and if so by how
much for how long.  More detailed explanations are available in advisory
circulars you can download for free from either AOPA, or EAA, or the FAA
website.  Briefly, mild turbulence is that which causes the aircraft to move
around, but does not cause the loss of any directional control surface. This is
what we mostly feel, even if it moves the plane in a direction we don't want it
to go, we can bring it back to level flight.  Too many pilots report this as
moderate turbulence.  Moderate turbulence is that which causes the momentary
loss of directional control of the aircraft. This is when you experience what I
had yesterday, which is turbulence that causes a change in direction in the
plane, and even with full control inputs, continues in that direction, or
combinations of directions.  It occurs briefly, 5-30 seconds at a time and then
full control is restored afterwards.  Severe turbulence is that which causes
total loss of control and lasts much longer than moderate, and can include
aircraft damage, either from pilot inputs to regain control, or simply violent
response from the aircraft.  This would similar to getting caught in large
aircraft wake turbulence.  What I had was mild to moderate turbulence, and it
was at the same altitudes virtually all day, approximately 1000' MSL to 2500'
MSL (mean sea level).  Above and below just fine.

The trick is being willing to be patient, and ride out the airplane's response
to the turbulence, and not tear it up trying to fight the windshear, but rather
go with it, and then as soon as you are out of it, maneuver back to level
flight.  It would actually be pretty fun, if it weren't so dog gone violent in
the way it surprises you, and the rapid change in direction without warning.  I
think my head hit the canopy roof 3 times yesterday!  And I am only 5'5",
wearing a 4 way harness!  BUT...like the great bird she is, the KR just kept
coming back for more.  Even with the strong winds, and bumpy conditions I had
no trouble making 3 squeaker landings (don't ask how I know not to add alot of
brakes when the tail is still up).  I also found out that my left arm will
freeze without a jacket on, while the rest of me is fine due to body heat
warming the cockpit.  That wonderful vent for the summer does NOT completely
seal when closed. 47 degrees at sea level is MUCH colder at 5500' !  Now, if I
could just get the CD player working....

22.2 hours and counting. Off to the airport....

Colin & Beverly Rainey
Apex Lending, Inc.
www.eloan2004cr.com
crai...@apexlending.com