I believe the WW manual details that this carbon will get cleaned up during the
3 angle valve job, so don't mess up the chambers trying to get it out. If it
doesn't then you can clean it up during the CC process Mark L details on his
page.  I will check it again tonight. I am studying to replace the VW with
Corvair since I too believe the VW is great for solo work but under powered for
the kind of flying I want to do, short fields, take off over obstacles, etc...

Soaking the valves in carb cleaner deep enough to immerse them in should get it
off them. The head carbon can be lightly buffed with a Dremel wire wheel or
coarse POLISHING wheel, not the grinding or sanding wheels. They are used to
clean up the flashing and smooth the roughness left by the original factory
castings.  For EXTREMELY detailed instructions on this check Marl L's site.
Look under Corvair motor...

Colin & Beverly Rainey
Apex Lending, Inc.
407-323-6960 (p)