This post is for William Jefferies and netters
First off let me dispel a myth that fuel injection ALONE improves engine
performance and economy. It does not. What is does do is improve engine
operation by providing better fuel atomization which results in smoother
operation of the engine throughout its operating range.  In order for an engine
to get better economy by adding fuel injection with NO other changes to the
engine, the fuel injection would have to make it so that the required fuel to
the engine for proper mixtures would be less, so less fuel is burned at the
same rpm as when it was carbureted. This of course is ridiculous. Simply
changing the way the fuel is introduced into the engine is not going to change
the amount required for proper fuel ratio. Typically what you see happen,
especially in cars is that the manufacturer, having added fuel injection and
increasing their control over fuel delivery, will also raise the compression
ratio, and add more timing advance, because they computer control the timing
already, and have knock sensors to pick up on any detonation long before the
human ear would ever hear it.  This allows for the computer to then make the
mixture go beyond the stotiometric or ideal mix (14.7 pounds of air to 1 pound
of fuel for auto gas ) to get better fuel economy, but then as needed richen up
and retard timing to protect the engine and still preserve performance, as in
while accelerating.  I worked in the auto industry for over 12 years as a
performance technician, and found all this information very well documented in
William Wynne's Corvair conversion book.  The fuel injection systems that
really add performance to the engine operation require being installed as a
package to get that performance.  The problem becomes the redundancy required
for safe flight conditions in the event of the different types of failures that
can occur, though they may not happen often, one has to be prepared for when
that "one time" happens to you.  Throttle body injection is a total waste of
time, for its added complexity, fuel pressure increase over gravity systems or
mechanical pumps, and its total reliance on electrical power.  I have fought
with alternator problems for 6 months, and I can tell you that I am very glad
to have the Slick Mag and gravity feed carb, which guarantees I will keep
running even with dead battery. A mechanical pump on a Corvair is a typical GM
style mechanical pump capable of maintaining fuel supply even from the wings of
a KR if the line is already primed and no high G maneuvers are performed.
I have sat here and fantasized about how good my plane would perform with a
sequential fuel injected engine installed, and if I lost that engine at some
4000 or 5000 feet that I would be fine to execute and emergency landing, no big
deal. That is what we train for as commercial pilots.  We CIF's are forever
pulling our students engines at 3000 feet and making them find a suitable
landing spot.   Then the other day I had a low power situation on takeoff,
where I was only climbing 150 fpm, and I felt like I did in a light twin engine
plane on single engine, that I was going down, just where was I going to be
forced to land.  There was no where good, hangars, trees, houses, too small of
back yards ( I am good but not THAT good ), city streets with power wires and
traffic....   What if that was when the power died, the engine quit, the fuel
pump died, or the ECM went into limp mode ( factory programming still has that
mode for mutli failure detection ).
My point is that it belongs in aviation, but with proper planning and correct
installation. It is NOT as easy as ripping it out of the car/truck, and
installing it in the plane as is.  A proper electronic fuel injection aviation
package must be engineered as a package into the plane.  I believe Mark
Langford went away from it for this reason, and I know from reading his manual
that William Wynne did.  It takes alot more know how of the system to package
an aviation version properly than just cut and paste.  Otherwise, I would
already have done it!

Colin & Beverly Rainey
Apex Lending, Inc.
407-323-6960 (p)