Brian is absolutely correct here.  The real bite is that by not notifying
the FAA PRIOR to flying with a "major modification" as definde by the
FARs, you are in violation of your operating limitations, which voids
your insurance coverage, including liability.  Typically, the FSDO will
thank you for calling and tell you to note it in your log book and
restrict yourself to your original phase one testing restrictions for 5
hours, which does include the same test area.  If you never notify FSDO,
then from that point forward you are operating in violation of your
operating limitations and could be without insurance coverage even if you
have made a notation in your log and done phase one testing on the
modification.

Another gotcha...  If your are no longer living where your KR was
originally tested and need to return the aircraft to phase one testing,
technically you should ask FSDO to assign a new phase one test area.
I've been down this road with FSDO and they were clueless as to how to
re-assign the test area, but it is in the FARs.  They did eventually
assign a new test area, so it can be done.  I suspect this was a
localized FSDO training issue.

Now out of the FARs and back to the real world.  The FAA typically has no
clue how your plane was originally equipped, so they may not have a clue
about a "major modification" like changing to a different type of prop
has been made unless you hang yourself after an accident by telling them
that you were testing a new prop or if there was a notation in the log
book.

Since I require myself to test fly and validate changes to the plane
anyway, I try to stay within the FARs and will give FSDO a courtesy call
when I make major modifications to my plane.

-Jeff