I believe that most of the early airstrips were round -Aerodromes I believe
they called them.  If you are having major difficulty landing on a strip  due
to sever crossswind - check and see if you can land on a crossing  taxiway.
Some airports may also have short grass strip that can be used  for such
occasions.
    Highest wind Ive taken off and landed in is Kewanee  IL.   35 knots down
the runway.  Luckily is was not gusty - just  strong.  Takeoff distance was
about 300 feet and I was over 2000 by the end  of the runway.
    Shortest landing was in Effingham, IL - previous  day.. Touchdown roll
was about 500 feet.  I could have landed on the tarmak  next to the fuel pumps
and saved taxi time.

Having more fun than a human being should be allowed....N41768