FADEC is a generic term for computer-driven powerplants. Very commonly
used in the helicopter world, for piston engines and turbines alike. I
believe the term was first used on choppers. "Full Authority" refers to
the idea that the pilot just asks for more or less power, and the computer
does the rest, freely. The computer will adjust whatever parameter it
pleases: mixture, intake quantity, RPM, pitch, or whatever.
So, FADECs are "single lever" solutions, and they go farther than just
electronic fuel injection.
And of course, they have huge safety implications, therefore are extremely
costly to certify, hence the price tag.

By the way, there is one fabulous homebuilt helicopter, called the
Rotorway Exec 162F, which has got a FADEC as standard. The manufacturers
make their own engines, since they could not find anything acceptable in
the market. The entire kit (helicopter with  engine and FADEC) costs less
than the FADEC option for a certified helicopter!

Serge Vidal
KR2 "Kilimanjaro Cloud"
Paris, france

FADEC = Full Authority Digital Engine Control.

It's out there.  The Cirrus SR series as well as some other new planes
have it.  It can be retrofited to some planes depending on how quickly it
appears on the Type Certificates or developers are willing to tackle the
years of paperwork and testing to satisfy the FAA for a Suplemental Type
Certificate.

My observation is that it appears to work well in flight and is well
liked by the owners, but may be a bit immature for adverse conditions.
I've watched several Cirrus run themselves out of batteries trying to
start in moderately cool weather.

Of course spending $15 - 20K to upgrade my two $20K airplanes just
doesn't make financial sense.  I'd spend that $$ buying another hanger
and another plane instead.

-Jeff