Netters
Jeff and I have both presented 2 different ways of modifying a KR, specifically
in my case a KR2, to correct some of the complaints other pilots have had with
the original design. The internal changes I spoke of make corrections that do
not require any airframe re-construction, but only require the actuation
methods and ratios to be adjusted.  This is very simple and have been used by
MANY builders in one form or fashion for years. One right way of doing things.

Other builders have added to the horizontal and vertical stabilizer areas
without adding to the control surface, increasing the stabilizer effectiveness.
Based on pilot reports this works well also to tame the KR down some.  However,
so that builders know they have choices and choose what is best for their
application, by increasing the size of these surfaces it has an effect on how
rapid the response is from the elevator or rudder.  Increasing the size of
these surfaces has the effect of making it harder to move the tail around which
adds to stability but also slows the response from the elevator and rudder,
which is how it "corrects" the pitch sensitivity.  At speed this is good.  When
slow, I prefer the fabulous elevator authority that I have with the original
KR.  Since in my opinion pitch control is the single most important control
that you have, having authority literally all the way through the point of a
stalled wing gives me a great deal of comfort.  I chose not to change the
effectiveness of these controls, simply their actuation ratios, mainly decrease
the elevator, and increase the aileron, no change to rudder, to make the
airplane more fun to fly. All surfaces still deflect the same amount as
designed and have the same authority.

Each builder will have to decide for himself what is best for himself.  As in
each plane style and design, there is more than one right way to do it.

crain...@cfl.rr.com
http://kr-builder.org/Colin/index.html
KR2(td) N96TA
Sanford, FL