Phillip and netters
I would like to point out in brief responses to the comments by Ron Slender
having been trained to diagnose vehicles the way that Ron has described his
research with his aviation EFI.
First off let me say that no aircraft I know of without a turbine engine has
had its engine operating in as harsh an environment as automobiles today are
designed to run in routinely. Car alternators are expected to output 60, 70,
sometimes as much as 100 amps in some of the newest vehicles, while underhood
temperatures on an 85 degree day with reflected heat into the engine
compartment will reach over 500 degrees, and still they are expected not to
fail. Just one part. At the same time the same car 3000 miles away has to be
able to also function just as well in below freezing temperatures, AND keep us
comfortable inside. No aircraft I know for less than $400,000 can do that nor
are they designed to do that. Not putting anything down, just making an
observation.
All late model cars that I know of and light trucks have the fuel pump also
controlled by the computer, so this is a moot point.
Virtually all domestic cars after 1990 have magnetic trigger/pickup for their
ignition in one version or another, so no distributor to break or wear out.
Both Cam and crank position are known by the computer.
MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensors is old technology and if Ron is
designing around this he is at least 10 years behind. Real time MAF (mass air
flow) meters actually measure the volume of incoming air which is much more
precise than the approximate measurement of the MAP sensor. MAP sensors work
very well for batch fire injection, which is where one whole bank of injectors
fire or spray at once. But if you are using sequential injection, you really
need the accuracy of the MAF to get the most out of the system, and handle all
the engine running conditions.
TBI fuel systems regularly run on as little as 5 psi, and max at 15 psi. EFI
systems range from 20-30 psi upwards of 50-60 psi in domestics, and some
European systems as high as 80 psi (most are back down to domestic as well
now). This is high pressure but also allows the system to be able to handle the
adjustments over a much wider range than in the early versions.
Rather than using some rare spark plug that will cost $16 a piece, using a
capacitive discharge system straight off a domestic car will produce anywhere
from 60-90kv through platinum, or double platinum plugs that will last several
years minimum.
Timing is fully electronic with crank and cam sensors, coolant temp sensor for
engine temp, air charge temp for incoming air temp, knock sensor for retard,
and O2 sensors for checking accuracy of mixture control.
No need for all that expensive re-working of the fuel map, the manufacturer has
all that pre-programmed into the computer, and will handle all the variety of
loads that the engine will experience. Remember, they had to plan on hill
climbing, use in all parts of the country, running at sea level, and then up in
the mountains, hot and cold. The computer doesn't know about altitude and
doesn't care. All it cares about is matching the fuel mix to the incoming air,
whatever that volume and temp.
The only sensors that might cause problems (besides lead on the O2 sensor), is
any transmission sensors. Be sure to select a manual transmission vehicle for
easiest conversion.
Wire looms/harness already assembled at the factory. Just remove completely,
and re-install. Includes weather seal connectors.
OBD I computers require no battery to maintain programming so once the PROM
chip is installed, the basics are already there. All that has to be done is run
the engine to establish the baseline for the adaptive memory, and you are
rockin.

Just can't see any good reason to buy someone's "latest developments" when that
has already been done a decade ago. If you know how it works, use it.
crain...@cfl.rr.com
http://kr-builder.org/Colin/index.html
KR2(td) N96TA
Sanford, FL