At 11:01 AM 5/5/2005, you wrote:
>You state that the strengthof a properly designed wooden spar does not
>depend on the grain orientation.  I believe this is missleading, would
>you use wood that had a splope on th grain of 1 to 3 or 1 to 5 or 1 to
>20?.
>Jim

In the previous note, the context implied grain defined by growth
rings.  The slope criteria is based on the longitudinal orientation of the
wood fibers.  They have to run the length of the spar within the allowable
slope.  The growth ring orientation for aircraft use is typically known as
quarter-sawed, meaning the growth rings are more-or-less parallel to the
horizontal in a tall slender board.  These two are very much related and
sometimes confusing.  It is much easier to show with sketches than say with
words.

A strength of a properly designed spar does not depend on the grain
orientation of the growth rings, only on the fiber orientation.  The
orientation of the growth rings does have a direct effect on the
dimensional stability with changes in temperature and humidity.

Don Reid  -  donreid "at" peoplepc.com
Bumpass, Va

Visit my web sites at:

AeroFoil, a 2-D Airfoil Design And Analysis Computer Program:
http://aerofoilengineering.com

KR2XL construction: http://aerofoilengineering.com/KR/KR2XL.htm
Aviation Surplus: http://aerofoilengineering.com/PartsListing/Airparts.htm
EAA Chapter 231: http://eaa231.org