Agree about the loop seal,  but the sight gauge should still empty to the
bottom of the tank!

I think I have a lead.

The top connection is also where the wing tanks vent lines are rigged.
Motion in the header tank when full would fill these lines (overflow).
Maybe the problem is that when these lines are full (as they most of the
time are), they flood the sight gauge, which is lower?

Oh, well, I will check again when I get a chance. That can't be too
complex, it's ony gravity, after all.

Serge

Donald Reid <donr...@peoplepc.com>

Envoyé par : krnet-boun...@mylist.net
2005-05-24 14:21
Veuillez répondre à KRnet
Remis le : 2005-05-24 14:22

        Pour :  KRnet <kr...@mylist.net>
        cc :    (ccc : Serge VIDAL/DNSA/SAGEM)
        Objet : Re: KR> Fuel gauge mystery

At 04:42 AM 5/24/2005, you wrote:
>On my KR2, the fuel gauge is a plain and simple sight gauge (clear
plastic
>tubing linked to the top and bottom of the tank).
>
>One mystery I was never able to solve is that the gauge has a lag. When
>the tank is amost full, it takes forever before the level drops, then it
>suddenly drops when the tank is about half full.

If the top leg of the sight glass has a segment that droops down, it can
get fuel in it which forms a loop seal, just like the loop seal in a
toilet
or kitchen sink.

You can also have problems if the lower leg of the sight glass and the
engine supply use a common tap into the tank.  This is not a common
problem
but it can happen depending on the flow characteristics in your lines.

Don Reid  -  donreid "at" peoplepc.com
Bumpass, Va

Visit my web sites at:

AeroFoil, a 2-D Airfoil Design And Analysis Computer Program:
http://aerofoilengineering.com

KR2XL construction: http://aerofoilengineering.com/KR/KR2XL.htm
Aviation Surplus: http://aerofoilengineering.com/PartsListing/Airparts.htm
EAA Chapter 231: http://eaa231.org