That's crystal clear. Thanks.

I was thinking myself of putting some sort of spacer between the inner and
outer WAFs in order to limit any motion, but thinking of it, I would waste
my time.

Serge

"Mark Langford" <n5...@hiwaay.net>

Envoyé par : krnet-boun...@mylist.net
2005-05-24 19:29
Veuillez répondre à KRnet
Remis le : 2005-05-24 19:29

        Pour :  "KRnet" <kr...@mylist.net>
        cc :    (ccc : Serge VIDAL/DNSA/SAGEM)
        Objet : Re: Réf. : Re: KR> WAF   application?

Imagine doing it by the plans, and going ahead and mounting the WAFs to
the
ends of the center spars.  Now just slide the outer spars right up in
contact with the center spars before you intsall the WAFs.  I'd bevel the
ends just to make them mate nicely.  Then just put the WAFs in place and
start drilling holes (using a jig, or course).  After the two big 3/8"
holes
are drilled through the wood (because they are no longer out in space),
remove the WAFs and open them up enough for some 4130 tubing sleeves the
thickness of the spars and T-88 them in place.  That keeps the wood from
crushing when you torque the WAF main attach bolts.  It reduces parts
count
by having one bolt all the way through, rather than two bolts (one on
forward side, one on aft side).  That's where the single/double shear
thing
comes in.  There might be a better variation of the method....but the
above
description should give you the idea of what Jerry is asking, I think.

I'm not saying anybody should do it this way, but I'll study it closer and

probably build my next one in a similar manner...

Mark Langford, Huntsville, Alabama
see KR2S project N56ML at http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford
email to N56ML "at" hiwaay.net