During an annual, my inpector insisted that I put a LARGE washer at the
end of the stack that you describe. His idea was that should the bearing
fail (ball separating from the body), the rod end should not be able to
get around the nut and separate from the horn.

For the rest, I plan to make aluminium spacers, rather than washers, but
that's just for aesthetics.

Serge Vidal
KR2 "Kilimanjaro Cloud"
Paris, France

larry flesner <fles...@midwest.net>

Envoyé par : krnet-bounces+serge.vidal=sagem....@mylist.net
2005-06-24 17:09
Veuillez répondre à KRnet
Remis le : 2005-06-24 17:13

        Pour :  KRnet <kr...@mylist.net>
        cc :    (ccc : Serge VIDAL/DNSA/SAGEM)
        Objet : KR> Having a washer under the head

 In other words here is the order-- bolt head,washer,
>control horn, 2 washers, Large washer, castle nut with cotter pin. That
>puts a total of 4 washers in this system. I could replace the 2 washers
>with a aluminum spacer but that dose not seem practical to me. I know
>others have had to do something at these points to get the geometry to
>work. I just don't want to be rebuilding in front of an inspector
>Joe Horton

In my humble opinion, when circumstances dictate, let common sense
prevail.  I used a thick wall nylon spacer between my aileron horn and
the rodend bearing on the aileron pushrod to get the correct geometry.

The forces at that point are not great but you MUST have a system that
has zero slop or endplay to eliminate the posibility of flutter and
control sloppiness.  Check for correct maximum deflection, and
eliminate any binding or slop.

The accepted procedure for bolt alignment on aircraft is head up or
to the front of the aircraft but there are times when that's not possible
and a bolt is inserted from the bottom or rear.  Sometimes you gotta
do what you gotta do.

If your inspector gives you any hassle on that point, and I doubt that
he/she will,  make them give you their opinion on exactly how it
should be done to be acceptable.  Don't let them get by with " well
I'm not sure but you'll have to change it".  I really don't think you
have anything to worry about.

Larry Flesner