I disagree with Larry in taking off below the wake due to the fact that
the wake is descending the entire time after takeoff, or while on approach
to land.  If necessary, wait 1 minute and then lift off sooner than the
departing aircraft and turn out sooner, and while climbing out, "slide" the
flight path up wind of the runway and parallel the departing flight path.
>Colin

Colin,

You're right.  I should have made it clear that I was talking about flying
with my buddies in RV's, AcroSports, etc.  They generally get off
pretty quick and climb rather steeply.  In those cases, where I'm
taking off number 2 or 3 behind those type of aircraft, I'll roll half
way or more to their liftoff point, add takeoff power, then roll well
past that point before I lift off, stay low for another 1000 feet or
so, then make a rather abrupt climbing turn out from under
their wake.  The safest thing is to wait but when trying to launch
a number of aircraft, such as at an airshow fly-by,  I still try to
keep the odds in my favor.  I can't outclimb an RV so even if I
wait I'm likely to climb right through his turbulence at my lower
angle of climb.  If in doubt, wait it out.

Larry Flesner