To expand on what Brian stated, there are some constants in aviation about CG
movement and adding weight that we CIF's teach. More thorough discussions can
be found in the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, and the Airplane
Flying Handbook both available at any decent pilot store printed by ASA.

First when adding weight aircraft speeds will go up, stall speeds, lift off
speed, climb speed (to achieve the same rate of climb as solo if enough hp is
available) while cruise speed typically reduces as does top speed (depending on
CG & hp). A look at two aircraft that are similar will show that all things the
same, the heavier plane will fly slower at the same power setting. Again, I
will not re-write the book here, more can be found in the two texts I
referenced, and I strongly recommend ALL who are testing read or re-read these
two texts at least where aircraft performance and behavior sections are in them.

A rearward CG changes the airplane's flight characteristics in known ways. What
isn't known is HOW MUCH each KR example will be effected in these ways. An aft
or rearward CG makes the airplane fly faster due to the supplemental lift
received from the tail due to having to hold the tail up with elevator, since
the weight moving back tends to lower the tail. This action allows a lower
angle of attack and less drag for the available horsepower, hence flies faster.
Better fuel economy, range and speed result.

The downside to this CG location is that the arm, or simply the leverage the
elevator has over the rest of the plane just got less. Your "prybar" for moving
the tail around just got shorter by how ever many inches the CG moved to the
rear. This has the effect of making the elevator less effective, since you
cannot change how much it moves, or how big it is. So to get the same response
from the plane requires larger inputs. How much depends on the speed, the
slower the speed, the more drastic the effect is. It is possible to get slow
enough that you will lose virtually all effective control of the plane and not
be able to raise the tail or maintain level flight due to lack of elevator
effectiveness. Remember you weigh more also so it takes more speed to maintain
any flight regime even though the aft CG works to lower those speeds; a
challenging paradox to test for. The most dangerous part is that when
practicing (or not practicing) stalls, the aft CG tends to make the plane enter
a flat spin, which in most cases is not recoverable due to how the resulting
spin removes the control from the surfaces. The most uncomfortable part is that
the Center of Lift is now close to the Center of Gravity which you can simulate
by standing on one foot and balancing for awhile. That is why a KR with two on
board gets pretty "busy".

I may get flamed for this comment, but the above explanation is why I bumped my
speeds in the pattern and landing up to what it takes for two on board and use
them all the time. Other aircraft publish speeds that work in any flight
configuration, as long as you are in the CG envelope. I was copying their
pattern of publishing. Yes our KR can get slower, but my habits will allow for
safe flying no matter what my load, or winds. If I wanted a bush plane I would
have gotten a Kitfox or Cub. I am not bothered by using 1500 feet to land, or
take off. Test carefully and with deliberate safety in mind....

Colin Rainey
KSFB