Steve Bennett told me that the reading under the plug is always hotter then
the other location you might pick.  A manual that lists the temp and
specifies a location for the probe may only be accurate at that specific
location, and if you move the sender to a different place, the same
temperature range may not apply.   I would think that under the exhaust stud
will give you information that you will have know way of knowing the value
of.   Consider that the EGT probe which is installed as close to the head as
possible will read gas temps as high as 1600 deg.  I have 4 cylinder CHT on
my KR with type 4 engine, and one of the probes is located as close to the
factory CHT hole as I could get it.   I use the numbers in my KR manual.

Orma
Southfield, MI
N110LR Tweety, old enough to drink this year
Flying and more flying, to the gathering or bust
http://www.kr-2.aviation-mechanics.com/