KRNetHeads,

Some of y'all might recall that when I built my main fuel tank, the fuel gauge
worked at the time of construction, because I tested it.  But after sitting for
a few years, the first time I filled it with fuel it was dead.  I suspected
that the sender's windings had been coated with off-gassing vinylester, and I
hoped that the windings would get cleaned by the wiping action of flying with
fuel.  Sure enough, it eventually worked after about 25 hours,  but it never
read more than about half full when the tank was actually full. Accuracy like
that is not exactly confidence inspiring.  While I have it at home, I visited
that problem, and last night I was able to fine tune the gauge to read EMPTY
when I was down to zero fuel by swapping resistors between ground and the
sensor body.  18 ohms did the job.  What really blew my mind is when I filled
it up and it ended up exactly on the FULL mark!  Sometimes you just get lucky!

I still haven't run my engine yet, because the folks that were supposed to be
upholstering my seat have been doing everything BUT my seat. I'm not sure it's
a bright idea to fire it up without sitting at the controls, so I'll just wait.
  I might as well finish up behind the panel so I can put the front deck and
canopy on, so it might be Monday or even later before I run it now.  And the
hurricane is expected to cause rain at the first of the week anyway, but  I
should be towing it to the airport in the next few days.  I plan to fly it out
of Moontown's 150 foot wide 2300' long grass strip (I've already been in and
out of there easily).  I'll let you know how it goes.  Yes, I'll be cutting it
close, but there's a three day weekend coming up.  All I need it 5 hours on it
to make it to the Gathering...

Mark Langford, Huntsville, Alabama
see KR2S project N56ML at http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford
email to N56ML "at" hiwaay.net