and dont forget vortex gennies to lower stall speed too
someone must have done it
From: "Cris." <flyi...@gmail.com>
To: "KRnet" <kr...@mylist.net>
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2005 10:09 AM
Subject: Re: Réf. : Re: KR> Hi from a new comer / prospective builder in
Europe

Hi, Tony!

I think that the Rotax 912 option will become more popular with the
spreading of KR2S in Europe. The race for replacing older 80HP with a 100HP
will hopefully make some 80HP engines available on the market at affordable
prices. I have an 80HP 912 on my Storm and I am pretty satisfied with it for
a number of reasons and I'm not considering buying a 100, but a lot of
friends think differently, so I hope I'll be able to buy an 80 when It will
be the time to work forward the firewall.

Besides, I hope more people start a KR in Europe, as the problems here are
different. Engine mounts, wood availability, certification issues and so on.
I know of a KR2S with flaperons, operating in a 200 ft long runway near Rome
(I'm currently trying to get in touch with the owner). This could be due to
the need of lowering the stall speed.

Ciao!

Cristiano.
Roma (ITALY)

2005/9/9, Serge VIDAL <serge.vi...@sagem.com>:

> Welcome, Tony.
>
> I own a KR2 which is complete and used to fly; I live in Paris, and you
> are welcome to contact me off net.
>
> With a KR, you can build as you go, since the raw materials you need to
> start your project are fairly cheap (wood and foam).
>
> As far as engines are concerned, Barry made a pretty good summary. I would
> like to add that:
>
> - A KR will fly nicely with as little power as 60 hp.
>
> - You can either buy a certified engine (unnecessary luxury in my
> opinion), or buy a non certified "professional" engine (a non certified
> Rotax, for instance) or buy an automotive conversion, or make your own
> automotive conversion.
>
> (Barry, as far as VW engines are concerned, you don't have to check the
> tappets if your VW is a Type 4. Actually, the Type 4 is very different
> from all the previous VW versions; it does not crack easily, has hydraulic
> lifters, etc., and is definitely a good option; although I doubt you can
> get one easily in Europe.)
>
> - If you don't want to start an engine project, and want to buy a ready
> made engine, go Jabiru. Cheaper and not worse than the Rotax.
>
> In general, with a KR2, everything comes down to effort versus money.
>

> Serge Vidal
> KR2 "Kilimanjaro Cloud"
> Paris, France
>

> "Barry Kruyssen" <k...@bigpond.com>
>
> Envoyé par : krnet-bounces+serge.vidal=sagem....@mylist.net
> 2005-09-09 00:48
> Veuillez répondre à KRnet
> Remis le : 2005-09-09 00:50
>

> Pour : "KRnet" <kr...@mylist.net>
> cc : (ccc : Serge VIDAL/DNSA/SAGEM)
> Objet : Re: KR> Hi from a new comer / prospective builder in Europe
>

> Welcome Tony,
>
> In my opinion the KR2S is a great choice.
>
> Engines (the controversial subject)
> a.. Certified engines like the O-200, etc are too expensive and a bit
> fuel hungry
> b.. Corvair engines are an auto engine and unless you are in the US may
> be a bit hard to get parts for. Also as I understand it, the crank shaft
> lateral thrust bearing is on the center journal which could cause problems
> for the cracking of cranks (someone please correct me if I'm wrong where
> the thrust bearing is).
> c.. VW conversions, yes another auto engine but they have been in
> aircraft for ever. The problem here is that they are heavy for the horse
> power they deliver. People try squeeze more HP out of them and then they
> become unreliable. You have to check the tappets regularly.
> d.. Jabiru engines are light, designed for aircraft, reliable and fuel
> efficient, but you have to check the tappets regularly and can only use a
> timber prop.
> e.. Rotax 4 stroke engines (don't know much about the Rotax 2 stroke
> engines) are light, designed for aircraft, reliable and fuel efficient.
> They have water cooled heads, hydraulic tappets, you can use an in-flight
> [...]

Land the airplane, rubber side down, main wheels first.

It has removed 24371 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!