Scott William wrote:
> Goofy question from the newbie:  Building calls for a
> workbench that is 16' x 4'.  In opinions of all the
> builders here, what is the SHORTEST bench one can get
> by with?  If I can lop 2' off this bench and bring it
> to 14', it will benefit my space situation a great
> deal.

Add 6" to the length of the longest piece you have to build on the table and
that's how short you can get away with. I'm going to build 2 identical
tables, 8 feet long each, that bolt together end to end with about a dozen
carriage bolts. Once I'm done with the table I'll just unbolt it, load it
into a truck, and take it to the airport (assuming I can find a hangar by
then).

> Also...what is the best material for the top pf the
> bench, in your opinions?  Particle board will be the
> straightest but 3/4 ply will be the most
> durable....Opinions??

1" MDF, maybe 2 layers of 3/4" glued and screwed, painted, sealed, and
heavily waxed for me. MDF is unbelievably straight and flat, and with the
paint and sealer it'll last forever. The wax will keep glue from sticking,
but I plan on spraying a few coats of PVA mold release as a backup.
--
Steve
33...@swbell.net