Serge:   As a former  "Liaison Engineer'  for a big aerospace company that
was bought out by Boeing I will give you the SOP (standard operating
procedure) for your aircrafts 'non conformance' that occurred during
'manufacturing' or 'depot level overhaul". (My text book answer)
FOR THE;
a. original WAFs with the oversize 3/8 inch hole---are they a standard
oversize?  Let us assume they are not a standard size.

Looking at FWD WING ATTACH FITTINGS, drawing no. 18   in my RR book pg.23
dated january 1990 the WAF is 1 1/2 inch wide and has a 3/8 dia. hole
drilled 3/4 inch from the end.   In my working days I would go to a stress
engineer,  show him the part drawing,  identify the 3/8 hole  is oversize
and tell him what my method of repair was to be.  The stress engineer
typically went to his books and evaluated the over size hole condition as a
'lug analysis' with reduced edge distance (tear out) and 100% of the time
went along with the installation of a larger diameter fastener. For really
critical lugs, with really screwed up damage, I actually had inspection
record
the tear out as well as the actual part thickness and provided this data to
the
stress engineer. The hole could be drilled to an oversize such as 1/64
oversize,
1/32 oversize or even a next full size standard size as was required by the
part condition..
Any hole increased in size must have the same fastener/hole assembly
tolerances
as the rest of the WAFs.  If there  was a possibility of the oversize bolt
being removed in the
future the area was marked to denote the hole and special size fastener.
For those parts that would undergo constant bolt removal and replacement
then a minimum 0.016 inch wall thickness bushing would be pressed fit into
the discrepant part. The bushing would have a 0.0005 to 0.001 inch press fit
and
be of the same material. This would bring the discrepant part back to
blueprint.

b. for your new WAFS--  my drawing referenced above shows a series of 3/16
inch diameter holes located   1/4 inch from the long edge of the part.  If I
take half of the 3/16 inch and subtract it from the 1/4 inch we have 5/32
(0.0156inch) of an inch for tear out. That is not much edge distance.
As an intelligent guess, if you are looking at
tear out of less than 0.140 inch I would not use them.

I am going to ignore the fact that the WAF drawings used are not to
aircraft standards. I have never seen fractions used on such a critical
machined part.
Standard sheet metal tolerances are +- 0.030 inch. Can you see what would
happen
on the WAF if that tolerance was used indiscriminately during manufacture?
How about checking your WAF holes to see what kind of assembly tolerance
your fittings have.

I never did get involved in reliability engineering during my work career
but I do love redundancy. I hope the above info gives you a feel for what
you have on your hands
Do you have any friends that are stress engineers that you can pass this by?
Regards
Bob Morrissey, New Bern NC