Joe,
That is encouraging , I just bought a project KR2, it hasa retractable main
gear and tail wheel.
If you give assistance on how did you install and convert the KR2 to nose wheel.
Please contact me and any one had expertise on that subject.
Thank you in advance.

Nagy

Joe Beyer <fly...@spiretech.com> wrote:
I have flown both the tail wheel and nose wheel gear on my KR-2 and by far
the nose wheel is the most practical, due to the increased visibility and
superior ground handling characteristics. One bad thing with the nose wheel
is that if you break it you won't take off, whereas with a bent tail wheel
you can still take off if you had to. At the speed the KR flies the added
drag isn't very great and with the added weight, (about 10 lbs in my case)
it is in the right place, up in the nose. I designed my own landing gear and
have had no problems with the mains but a few with the nose gear. I've used
a hand truck wheel with the cheap bearings. They work well but after a few
landings they will buzz. When that happens then it's time to upgrade to the
more expensive ones. Last week the nose bearings went out so I replaced them
for under ten dollars. They're rated for about 5mph. but if you keep them
greased up real well they can go a lot faster. Tire pressure is at 22psi.
with no shimmy problems. I use 4ea. bellview washers stacked so there is a
preload on the spindle, which is made of 3/4" cold rolled steel. Recently my
throttle was set too high and I had some trouble slowing down and that put
some extra load on the nose wheel. With the bellview washers there are no
shimmy problems, and operating on grass isn't too much different than
asphalt. The main wheels are Azusa's with drum brakes and are good for
steering and parking but not as good for stopping. I use the landing roll
for that. I'm in the habit now of staying off of the brakes right after
touch down. I think my next upgrade will be to install tapered roller
bearings up in the nose gear.

-Joe