> I think the belly board is the only way to go. Simple and the last thing
you
> need when landing is more lift generated by flaps.

I'm not sure if I believe that, because no airplanes would have flaps if
that were the case.  The big thing that flaps give you (besides free drag)
is they lower the landing speed by 5 mph (in my case).  That's got to be
good for something.  I look at the extra lift as basically meaning that I'm
flying a lighter bird, so my landing speed can be slower.  I will agree that
belly boards are easy to install and are quite effective, but they won't
give you the 5 mph lower landing speed.   That's not to say that some day I
may show up with a belly board TOO though.

Yesterday I did a little glide testing with and without flaps.  Glide ratio
is about 11:1 without them at best glide speed (80 mph or so) clean, and
9.5:1 with flaps.  My flaps only drop 30 degrees due to lack of geometrical
room under my seats for the jack screw to operate, and lack of foresight as
to where my torque tube is located (which limits bellcrank length to exactly
what it is now).  If I had 60 degrees of split flaps, I'd have a real speed
brake.  I'll fix that one of these days though.

Something else I determined yesterday is that propwash must be the problem
with my static system, not proximity of the wing or tire.  I put a 10"
extension on the static tube and it made no difference.  Readings were way
off, so I pulled the hose off after I leveled off, which opened the static
line to the cockpit interior,  and everything started reading more
accurately.  I did a little sanding on my wing, and when I fired up the
engine it blew the dust off 2' out from the stub wing junction.  My
static/pitot tube is at the stub/outer wing junction, just like the plans
call for, but it ain't working for me!

Mark Langford, Huntsville, Alabama
see KR2S project N56ML at http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford
email to N56ML "at" hiwaay.net