Mark,
Your observation is why I elected to go with a late model CS alternator from
GM.  It has the capability to deliver up to 80 amps continuous draw, with
internal self regulation, self cooling with its own fan, and 3 wire hook up to
the system.   It weighs twice what the Dynamo system weighs, but is totally
self contained, and is readily available at any auto parts supply house (from a
1992 Chevy Cavalier).  I will use a wet battery, with a cooled complete cover,
and main bus bar for power to the fuse panel, and battery.  Even failing, the
output at half rated output is more than my whole draw.  Also, it will adjust
to the load unlike the Dynamo system.  I can monitor with a simple voltmeter.

Colin Rainey
brokerpilot9...@earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.