Jim,
You've brought up some very good points, I've seen Zeners used like you said,
when there is a spike big enough to trigger them, they become a solid short to
ground. SO they need to be replaced after they trigger, but they do save more
expensive electronics from DEATH. And yes I've replaced more than a few Zeners
that were used like this. It's cheap insurance for your electronics.

The SCR crowbar will trigger and stay triggered until you remove power, so the
fuse type will not mater. I've had to test this circuit in some ery expensive
Mil-Spec Avionics.
Bill Higdon