Having flown various aricraft as student and as CFI I will have to agree
with Colin that you learn the leaning procedures for YOUR engine well.  It  can
make a huge difference in performance in a low margin situation.  A  Cessna 185
 on a jungle strip that can take off at gross and only use 1200'  of dirt
runway and clear trees or bolders on the end will also eat up 7000-8000  feet
of
beautiful pavement out of 12,000 available when leaving Quito.  (Ecuador).
Quito happens to have a field elevation of 10,000'  and if  you do not have the
engine leaned out for full power ( which at 10'000 feet will  actually be only
arount 70% power or less)  you will not make it off the  runway and if you
did you would not be able to climb out of the bowl the  airstrip is in and you
will join some lovely displays of pilot ineppness on the  hillside surrounding
the capitol !    So my point - get to know  your airplane - how well does it
climb at specific density altitudes with  specified weights and then allow
yourself plenty of margin.  Send someone  home on the bus and fly out solo if
you
have to.   Other procedures  such as leaning in a climb and enrichening in a
descent are also not taught  well.  If you have to get a competent instructor
that has high altitude -  high performance aircraft training to sit down and go
through procedures with  you.  Pick out a plane like the Cessna 210 (non
-turbo model) to look at  the performance charts - these may help you
understand
the procedures and you  can make up a test and chart your airplanes
performance.
    My two cents worth - study and make a better pilot  out of yourself !  I
am currently going back through my commercial  manuevers and will start to
draw up a practice program for myself - how long  since anybody did a turn
about
a point, or  lazy eights ...time for me to  brush up on my skills - Im also
going up for some aerobatic training  soon.   Like my dad says - you needed
have
to use the training but it  helps to keep the mind sharp!

    MEERY CHRISTMAS TO ALL KRNETTERS - Bill and 41768 -  oh - and Elaine says
Hi!