Netters,

I have another flying story to tell you about.  I was somewhat unimpressed with
my last flight to Yuma (150 mile trip).  The fuel consumption was too high, the
RPM's too low and the speed was about right.
Friday I had some work in Yuma, and if I drive it's about 3 hours one way, 3
hours of work and 3 hours back.  (9 hours, in a mini cooper)  I thought I would
give it another try, well the results were impressive, for me at least.  I took
off about 11 AM for Yuma, there was alittle head wind, but the fuel usage was
looking better, I flew at 6500, 1.7 hours, I landed and asked the fbo to fill
it up and I walked over to get my rental car. 3 hours later I was back in my
plane getting ready to fly back, total fuel 7 gallons.  I fired the plane up
and headed to the runway, sat and waited for a Kingair to t/o and a 172.  I
followed the 172 and everything was looking good.  1 hour and 20 minutes later
I was in front of my hanger.  I flew @ 7500 MSL on the way back and was able to
lean the posa out for and average of 3.5 gph.  I don't think I burned 5 gals on
the way back.  Do the math, alittle over 3 hours in the air, 3 hours working I
saved 3 hours and the miles on my car, and I had a great time in the KR2.  Oh
by the way the weather was overcast and about 74 degrees.  I know most of the
northern part of the country is getting cold and the flying stories will be
fewer, If you want I can post some more of my flights if you want.  It sure is
better flying than sanding and painting.....

Lee Van Dyke
Mesa AZ
l...@vandyke5.com