At 11:43 AM 12/6/2005, you wrote:
>Could somebody well versed in the secrets of the Imperial system tell me:
>
>1 - When a thread size is expressed at, say, 10-32, what do the "10" and
>the "32" stand for?

My Tony Bingelis book with all the good info is loaned out at the moment
but here are the basics:

10-32 is the "fine thread" series of bolts as used in aircraft.  It
is 3/16" in
diameter with 32 threads per inch.  It is usually referred to as an AN3,
indicating it's diameter in 1/16's of an inch.  The next size larger would be
an AN4 (4/16" or 1/4 inch).  The dash number following the AN3 would
indicate the length in 1/8" increments  The A , H, or no letter following
the - number indicates whether the bolt has a drilled head, a drilled
shank, or not drilled at all.

>2 - The AN system starts at AN3, which is 10-32. What would be the next
>smaller size in the standard Imperial system?
The next size smaller here in the U.S.A. would be a #8 with 36 threads
per inch.  I'm GUESSING that to be a 1/8" bolt / screw so whatever your
equivalent to .125" should be close.  We don't use that size on anything
structural.  What is your intended use?

Larry Flesner