I have a copy of KR-1 plans book dated 1972. On the cover, it lists:

  length - 12' 6"
  span - 17' 2"
  empty wgt - 310 lbs
  gross wgt - 600 lbs
  engine - 36 hp VW (you're right Virg, 1200cc)
  fuel capacity 7.5 gals
  top speed 140 mph
  cruise speed 130 mph
  stall speed 42 mph

  The plans also show single mag ignition, alternator and PTT switch, no
starter,
  basic instruments and sling seat.

  The key to the KR-1 is building it simple and light. Adding length and width
will add weight, which will adversely affect performance.

  Having said that, concerning the 1600 cc VW, there was a category of racers
that competed using the 1600, the 2 best examples being the Monnett Sonerai I
and the Steve Wittman designed V-Witt, both which cruised at 150mph, climbed at
1,000 fpm and had empty weights of 430-440 lbs and gross wgt of 700 lbs,
numbers significantly higher than the KR-1. They also list takeoff distances of
600ft and 800ft respectively.
  My instructor taught me to multiply takeoff distances by 3 for a safety
factor when determining which strips to use, so even with the V-Witt, 2400 feet
is plenty.

  One could argue that since the KR-1 is lighter, the composite surfaces
smoother than fabric and metal used in the other 2 planes, and already
demonstrated similar performance on LESS power, the 1600 cc should be enough
power for the KR-1.

  I would also recommend finding out which prop size was used on the racers and
use it also.

  By the way, the current world record holder for endurance in the under 660 lb
gross wgt class built a plane using the same techniques and materials and is
virtually a copy size-wise as the original KR-1 specs listed above, and used a
2cyl 36hp engine to travel 1675 miles in a closed circuit without landing in 15
hours 11 min on 20 gals of fuel in 1988. He won the FAI Bleroit medal. (CONTACT
Magazine Issue #76)

  Sometimes more hp isn't the only way to achieve a goal - keep it simple,
strong and safe, and add lightness, is a good credo for KR's.

VIRGIL N SALISBURY <virg...@juno.com> wrote:
  Ken flew a 1200 cc, Virg

Virgil N. Salisbury - AMSOIL
www.lubedealer.com/salisbury