The following is from the EAA FAQs page about Sport Pilot.  I thought we had
a discussion about this and decided it couldn't be done with the KR.  It
appears that it can be modified prior to its first certification to meet LSA
limitations................ or perhaps the dicussion was actually about
whether or not the KR could be certified as an E-LSA, which, of course, we
can't, right.?

I'm building an aircraft that is just outside the definition of an LSA. Can
I, as the builder, modify the aircraft so that it meets the performance
definition of an LSA and fly it as a sport pilot?
Yes. For a homebuilt, you have complete freedom of design and material
selection. Therefore, if you can modify the aircraft so that it meets the
definition of an LSA from initial certification on, you can fly it as a
sport pilot.

We caution against making any modifications to the structure of the aircraft
without the approval of the designer. In some cases, it may be just a
question of assigning a lower gross weight than what the aircraft was
designed for that will allow you to meet the LSA definition.

Ed Janssen
mailto:ejans...@chipsnet.com