"Joseph H. Horton" <joe.kr2s.buil...@juno.com> wrote:    Thanks to all that
sent notes of support. The event was not as bad as it
my have sounded and I felt prepared for this one as having a windscreen
visibility problem is something that I had been through in my mind many
times. I check the engine over this morning and still could not find
where the oil came from. It was just over a quart low so I did not loose
as much as I had thought. William called tonight and gave me a very
strong possibility. The air oil separator tube that goes over board may
have froze up in the subfreezing temps and the crank case pressure forced
the oil out the dipstick tube. The tube that I have is bent forward and
ends at the forward edge of the right front cylinder which is the same
place as my oil cooler. I was also in a steep left turn that may have
helped the oil to the tube in the crank case. The other end of the story
is the over flow tube is a tygon tube and I know for sure that the tie
wrap holding it in place is making a partial restriction. I will check
into this all further.

Joe Horton, Coopersburg, PA.
joe.kr2s.buil...@juno.com

Hi Joe,

  Glad to hear you and your plane are ok. I was wondering if an air tight seal
along the top and perhaps the sides of the cowling would have prevented, or
reduced the amount of oil that came up on the canopy. I'm just thinking out
loud. I don'tknow how you constructed your cowling.

Ron Smith
Kr2ssxl
Cypress Ca U.S.A.
mercedesm...@yahoo.com