From: "Colin Rainey" <brokerpilot9...@earthlink.net>
To: <kr...@mylist.net>
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 17:29
Subject: KR> Timing retard

> Serge and Dan
> You are correct Serge, the retard I am referring to is the retard AFTER
the engine is running, especially at rpm.  Virtually all systems start at
some "base" setting, and if this is too high, hard start. If it is just base
timing low, then easy starting.  When cranking a computer controlled engine
with the scanner hooked up, you can watch the computer actually retard the
timing to 20 degrees ATDC to allow for second rotation start. As soon as the
engine gets over 400-600 rpm, depending on design the computer will advance
to around 28 to 34 degrees usually, just like the Great Plains, and will
hold back the timing from there until closed loop or hot running mode, at
which time it will utilize full spark advance programming from there. Why
mention all this?  What does this have to do with a KR or Corvair?

> Well, for every process that we now know to be electronic, it once was
performed mechanically.  Therefore, everything that I have mentioned that
the computer does now, was handled by a mechanical device in the Corvair
engines of the past.  What my particular installation is attempting to do is
to update with modern parts, the mechanical processes that Chevrolet
developed for the engine, that were so successful, so that my airplane
engine will run as well as the car engine did, just spinning a prop.  The
distributor was equipped with mechanical spark advance through the use of
weights attached to the breaker plate under the points. These centrifugal
weights would sling out causing the plate to "advance" the timing, usually
between 12 and 14 degrees, depending on the strength of the springs and the
actual weights.  This advance is rpm dependent, and will occur every time at
a given rpm.  Base timing was usually set somewhere between 4 and 8 degrees
which gives a total MECHANICAL advance of 16 on the low side to 22 degrees
on the high side.  Vacuum advance was used to advance the engine the final
10 to 14 degrees for best performance.  This advance only occurs when the
rpms are more constant, deceleration, and at idle. Just like the mechanical
advance, it is not present when cranking, so the engine only cranks on base
timing.  When accelerating vacuum advance is lost, and the timing retards to
mechanical advance only to prevent detonation, since the combustion chamber
temperature will spike due to the sudden introduction of all that air. You
will notice that fixed timing systems try to compromise between best
performance, and detonation protection with settings around 26 to 28 degrees
max.

> Problem: aviation carbs have no hookups for vacuum signals on their carbs.
This is the reason I am using a down draft Rochester Monojet carb.  It has
both ported (vacuum on acceleration only) and manifold vacuum (vacuum at
constant rpm).  If you do not use vacuum advance , then you will have to
recurve your distributor like WW does, and watch your temps closely. You
will not be able to allow your engine to get as hot as the car did due to
the effect on pre-ignition and detonation that this has, and you will almost
assuredly have to use 100LL.  Premium fuel will not give enough detonation
protection. Remember, these engines were designed when 100 octane fuel (with
lead) was common at the pump, and were designed for its use.  When the lead
went away, timing had to better controlled, some cars even equipped with
spark retard modules, and compression ratios dropped until advancements were
made it overall computer/engine control.

> Oh that "relay" is probably a simple transistor module triggering the
coil, which is what most electronic ignitions use. The other parts of the
ignition module handle ignition impulse modification if needed for computer
use, and advance if desired by the designer. Since it is set up as an on/off
system, it is perfectly compatible with the computer, where the trigger from
say a point set tends to linger to a computer which makes it more like an AC
wave, instead of the needed digital wave (square wave), but that is all
another story...