Larry is right. More power means better climb, higher cruise in most cases and
more power in reserve if needed.
Mark's comments to me were not meant to say that the VW is bad, just on the
lower end of the available power spectrum, for engines that match the KR.
There is an old saying that fits perfectly here: "There is no replacement for
displacement".  Given the same setup, the engine with more CID will out perform
the smaller engine.

The RG2000 may be a good engine, I don't own one so I don't know.  But it will
have to be run at a higher rpm to make the same torque as the Corvair, even
through its gear drive, so it will surely effect engine life to some degree.
Still it will be hard to knock the 3.5 gallons an hour I was burning with my
first VW engine!

The RV camps are going through a similar 4 to 6 cylinder transition, as many RV
builders are finding the O-540 more affordable and economical to operate than
the O-360.  Kind of the same thing here, VW to Corvair....

Colin Rainey
brokerpilot9...@earthlink.net