Ron
If I were to be building at a point where you are it would seem to me to be the
easiest to just keep the firewall the same, and adjust things so that there is
a straight line down the side to the widest point at your hips. This will get
you closest to a teardrop shape and correct the shape the way Serge pointed out
it needs. The Corvair engine does not need more room, rather it is actually
skinnier than the VW. It is longer and if you go with front starter, taller in
the middle, which just takes alittle work to accomodate.

Mark L. has been advocating for years to straighten the sides to eliminate the
banana boat effect, and sited the builders that have have been happy with the
results...

Back to filling the cowling foam prior to sanding...

Colin Rainey
brokerpilot9...@earthlink.net