JIM VANCE wrote:

> My Kr has a Great Plains 1915 cc VW engine with an Ellison throttle body
> injector.  Great Plains recommends that I use car gas to prevent valve
> problems.  Ellison states that the seals in their units are designed for
> 100LL only, and that any fuel with alcohol in it will ruin the unit and
> void the warranty (not to mention create engine problems).<

I have a Corvair with an Ellison.  I now have 130 hours on the engine,
mostly using auto fuel, and the Ellison still works fine.  If I factor in
the price difference between autofuel and 100LL (let's just say $1.50
gallon),  and I average 5 gallons/hour, I've already saved enough money to
buy a new Ellison.  So I'm "saving" money now, even if my carb quits
tomorrow.  Steve Makish has well over 300 hours on his Ellison burning auto
fuel. For the record, Makish (I think) and I only use Amoco (sold by BP now)
93 octane, but that may not make a bit of difference for all I know.  I
don't think it's as clean as it use to be, and in Alabama they have to tell
you if it has alcohol in it, so nobody sells it.  But I'm sold on auto fuel
for my engine (which is 9.3:1 compression ratio).  Your mileage may vary (as
Larry would say)...

Mark Langford, Harvest, AL
see homebuilt airplane at http://www.N56ML.com
email to N56ML "at" hiwaay.net