From: krnet-boun...@mylist.net [mailto:krnet-boun...@mylist.net]On
Behalf Of Larry&Sallie Flesner
Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2006 9:46 AM
To: KRnet
Subject: RE: KR> Spars

>. I, personally, do not think that scarfing is any fun and find it
>most difficult to get a straight line.
>Daniel R. Heath

With the right setup, scarfing the sheer web ply can be one of the
easiest parts of building a spar.  I used a sanding drum on my
radial arm saw.  The drum was 1.75 inches by approx 1 inch
diameter.  I made a small stationary work table to hold the
ply and pulled the sanding drum across the edge of the ply.
It took about 5 seconds to make a perfect scarf on each end
of web material.  I set the angle by placing one end of the drum
on the work table and the other end was touching a scrap piece
of 3/32" place under the other end of the drum. Once glued to the
spar you could hardly find the joint.  With this method I was able to
use many small section of ply that I had left and didn't have to buy
more material.

The same thing could be done with a stationary drum and run the
ply under the drum.  I seem to recall (it's been a long time ago)
that the 1.75 inch drum gave me a 16:1 slope on the web.  The
lines of the different layers in the ply will indicate if you have a
perfect scarf or not.

As always, your results may vary.

Larry Flesner