Hello Kr folks:
I've only been lurking here in KRnet world for a couple months, just received
my KR plan set less than 2 weeks ago, and my WW corvair conversion manual 3
days ago. So it is safe to say that I know very very very little about KRs,
corvairs, and well to be quite honest, engines of any type... And given that I
have just under 300 hours in my flight log book, I'm still a very low timer in
the air to boot... so I'm hardly qualified to offer much...

but finally a thread that has at least a tiny familiar feel to it... the topic
of RESEARCH... (I happen to teach research methods and statistics courses to
undergrad, masters and PhD students at Univeristy of Idaho - but please don't
hold it against me... gotta make a living somehow ;-)...)

I've found this discussion, and Williams related posts very interesting because
IMHO, everyone, even those who seemingly disagree with each other, are "right."
 I admit, there is no way that I would conclude with a high level of
confidence, based on Williams sample of engines and research so far, that
nitriding will solve the crankshaft issue. As many of you have alluded to,
there are simply way too many variables coming in to play to isolate the cause
from a pure experimental perspective. I don't even know what all the processes
in the discussion involve regarding grinding, nitriding, extensions, bearings
etc., but it seems pretty obvious that there are many many factors such as
prior condition of the cranks before being used for flight, type of flight
hours, installation details etc., all of which might be involved in the
problems. Even if all of those variables could be controlled for, a sample of
n=5 doesn't provide much in the way of strong evidence.

However, that said, given WW's expertise and experience with corvairs, and
given the possible ramifications of a broken crank, and given WW's positive
reputation and stated business philosophy, I too would rather follow a policy
on the conservative side, at least until further research can be designed and
carried out to provide more evidence of the cause, and potential solution to
the problem.

If a larger sample of flying corvairs, both with and without nitriding could be
put through the same inspection process, and if a variety of additional
variables (time, type of flying, etc) could be associated with each engine,
then we'd be on our way to buildling evidence we could be more confident in.
But lacking such, to me, the work William has done so far provides reasonable
justification for his offered advice. Especially given the legal nature of our
society. I love stats, analyses, science, research evidence, and all that. I
live for it. But sometimes expert opinion is worth a whole lot, especially when
ideally designed research just is not practical or realistic.

Like others have said. My thoughts are probably worth what you paid for them...
Thanks for the great discussion group. I hope by the end of the summer that I
can report a KR2S project under way. I've visited virtually every one of your
web-sites and am both envious and impressed. This is a great group and a
fabulous learning experience.

Tony
Moscow, ID