From: "Doug Rupert" <drup...@sympatico.ca>
To: "'KRnet'" <kr...@mylist.net>
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2006 4:26 PM
Subject: RE: KR> Spar length

Obviously I'm missing something here John. Kindly explain the difference
between a properly baffled fuel tank in the stub wings versus the same tank
in the outer wing panels. It would seem to me that if wing drop is your
concern that the same weight further out would have more of a detrimental
effect for spin recovery, not that anyone in their right mind would
intentionally spin a KR. In any event, spin recovery maneuvers are identical
no matter where the fuel is located. I'd be more worried about the c.g.
shift associated with the header tank. As for extending the stub wings, it
would be a snap with the AS 5048 airfoil as the spar is deeper. Using the
stock per plans spar and airfoil I think the added stress would easily be
overcome by wrapping both inner spars with a couple of layers of CF. I'm not
an engineer by any means but it seems to make sense should one want to
attempt such a change. If it were me I would go with the 5048 airfoil and
build the sucker. I would have absolutely no hesitation on taking it into
the air as with the added depth of the spar I think the WAF would now be the
weak link in such an arrangement.
Doug Rupert

Caution. Spin recovery can be affected if the extra distance is used for
tanks. My view....Stick to what is proven, that is, stock stub length.

John