I got to thinking that all this talk on flying a tailwheel aircraft may have
some builders concerned that flying a taildragger takes "superman"
piloting skills.  Rest assured it does not as my experience would
indicate.

Of primary importance is knowing the proper technique in flying a
tailwheel aircraft.  If you're not sure, get with an instructor and learn
what it takes.  If you get through several hours of training in other
models without breaking anything, several hours of taxi testing in
your KR should get you comfortable in your KR.  My KR has a
slightly wider gear stance than most and a longer arm to the tail
than most but I've found the rudder is VERY EFFECTIVE above
tail up speeds and the tailwheel is very effective with the tail down.
If you get comfortable with several hours of going through the
transition phase from tail down to tail up, your takeoff will only require
pulling back on the stick.  I have yet to find the need to use any brake
for directional control during the takeoff or landing roll.

The hardest part of landing is the flare to touchdown phase, same as
when flying a tricycle gear aircraft.  Once the wheels are on the ground,
you're back to the tail up to tail down transition.

My worst landing in my KR was the first one.  I flared a bit high and was
afraid to let it settle on.  I kept pulling back on the stick until
the tailwheel
touched first and the mains banged on.  Even with that the KR responded
to the control inputs required to keep rolling straight down the runway.

When I started flying my KR I had 13 hours total tailwheel time over a 30
year period.  Now, after 192 hours in the KR, I don't even think of it being
a taildragger during takeoff and landing.  I just keep the nose pointed
down the runway , have a great time flying, and give a loud Yeeee Haaaa
when I open the canopy after engine shutdown.  The local airport bums
have come to expect the Yeee Haaa as part of my post flight procedure.

Larry Flesner