From: krnet-boun...@mylist.net [mailto:krnet-boun...@mylist.net]On
Behalf Of Larry H.
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2006 5:13 PM
To: KRNET
Subject: KR> WATER IN FUEL

I started flying in about 1969. I have flown several thousand hours by
myself and with friends. During fuel checks before flight from fuel tank
drain tests I have never seen water come out in the little tiny test before
flight. That did not mean there was no water in there somewhere. One thing
that got my attention many years ago was an article that I read in one of
the flying magazines on this subject. The writers of the article had
conducted tests on several different kinds of airplanes, highwing, low wing
. They reported in the article that in some cases they drained 2 or 3 or
more gallons of fuel out of the wing tanks before any water would come out.
If you think about your flight training, the instructor gave you the little
glass test tube and just a few ounces of fuel were drained into it, then you
would look at it to see if any water was in the bottom of the test tube. I
personally have never seen any with that test, then of course you were to
throw/dump that sample down on the ground. I always thought that was a waste
of fuel, and certainly do now, heck that would be 50 cents worth now ! The
gascolator is the last defense before the fuel gets to your engine, so yes
the gascolator should be drained on a regular basis. For you who are buying
auto fuel, then dumping it into your fuel tank might want to think about
purchasing one of the funnels that are available that have a screen built
into them that is capable of filtering water out of your fuel. You would at
least know then that you had not dumped water accidentally into your tank.
The same funnel can be used even if you are buying gas at an FBO, just put
fuel nozzle into the funnel to fill your tanks. I have one that I carried in
my Mooney to fill my plane, just in case of course !
Larry H.