Harold Woods wrote:

> One of the best motivational elements was Marks photo of "sunset at 6000
> feet".

Thanks, Harold.  I took a few more today!

Today I adjusted my mixture linkage so that the carb wouldn't be so rich at
"full rich".  This pretty much solved the rich mixture problem.  For the
last few weeks, full throttle made the mixture go suddenly lean, but pulling
the mixture out a quarter inch made it much richer, which simply doesn't
make sense to me.  For whatever reason, readjusting the mixture lever to a
more lean position solved that problem, so now when it's full rich, it's
really full rich.  I also covered up the ram air and started sucking warmer
air from under the cowling, so now I never have to worry about carb heat.
This is just a temporary experiment, but I think I like the resulting
improvement in fuel distribution, with no real decrease in power.  The range
at which the mixture is acceptable seemed to be much larger today.  Of
course it was also much warmer today than it has been, so that may also be a
factor.  I'll reinstall ram air in Spring, if not before, because under
cowling temps will soar then.  The engine really ran perfectly today, so I
flew for 45 minutes until it got so dark I had to land.  I have to admit to
hollering a few YEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAs while doing cricles around the house.

Ellison owners may want to check the bottom quarter of
http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/fuel/  for something interesting when
rebuild time rolls around...

Mark Langford, Harvest, AL
see homebuilt airplane at http://www.N56ML.com