>best I can tell the split flaps increase
>the sink rate at 80 mph by a factor of about 2.5x what you get without flaps
>at the same speed.  Do any of you belly board guys know how yours stack up?
>Mark Langford

I went for a short flight after work today and was going to check my speed
brake for you.  I flew a bit of formation with a friend in his Cherokee ( I was
throttled back to 1800 rpm :-) ) and then did some slow flight into a
moderate wind at altitude.  I had my ground speed (GPS) down to 36 mph
at one point.  I was going to do a speed brake check next but coming out
of the slow flight it seemed as if the engine was sluggish, enough so that
it got my attention.  I leveled off and checked all the engine gauges, did a
quick mag check, and played with carb heat and mixture.  All appeared
normal but I was only getting about 2500 rpm, about 150 to 200 rpm lower
then I expected.  The engine responded normally to power changes and
was running smoothly but I just had an uneasy feeling.  I headed back to
the airport and landed normally.  A full throttle static run up on the ground
looked normal so I'm not sure what's going on.  I'll check under the cowl
the first of the week as I'll have a house full of company this weekend.

On the speed brake thing ( mine is 9"X30" and lowers to 90 degrees), I seem
to recall that I got 500 fpm decent at idle power at 80 mph indicated and
with the speed brake fully down that went to 1000 fpm.  It's been two years
since I flew that test so I'll try to verify it next week.

198 hours at shutdown this evening with Langford gaining fast !!!!!

Larry Flesner