Phil:

This is just a thought and can be a "Black Art" kind of thing.  Have you ever
considered the fact that a simple change of exhaust stack length could fix the
problem.  Sometimes the noise can be positively reinforced if  your pipes
length are close to multiples of the natural resonating frequency of the the
engine and a change of length away drom the engines natural wave length may
dampen it.  Contact someone that understands harmonics and maybe take some
readings with a frequency meter if you can find one.

Pick my brain from recollections out of  Physics class. maybe something to look
at but don't try it with out checking out the therory with someone that really
knows acoustics.  Remember the "Muscle Cars" of the 60's that had Tuned exhaust
sytems to enhance performance.

Don